This is a 3-year project, funded by Status of Women Canada, with the goal to engage men and boys from Muslim communities to end violence in the family.
The objectives of this project are to:
- Develop and strengthen the skills of men and boys, working in partnership with women and girls, to identify and respond to issues and gender-based violence in their communities.
- Engage key decision makers in the communities so as to transform the environment and create a cultural shift.
CCMW has partnered with White Ribbon for the first year of the project to carry out a needs assessment on how to engage Muslim men and boys. White Ribbon is the world’s largest movement of men and boys working to end violence against women and girls, promote gender equity, healthy relationships and a new vision of masculinity.
Together, CCMW and White Ribbon carried out 7 focus groups in January and February of 2016. Interviews were carried out with key individuals, an online survey was distributed, and desktop research was conducted as additional research for the needs assessment. Based on the data gathered, White Ribbon has been developing a toolkit that will be used to conduct local workshops in partnership with CCMW’s chapters and volunteers.
The materials developed for this project are:
– Toolkit (English and French)
– Islamic Perspective on Engaging Men and Boys to End Violence in the Family (English and French)
– “You Can Make a Difference” video
– Muslim Men Say No 2 VAW Poster (English and French)
– Project Brochure (English and French)
– Training Webinars (English and French)